Damn what a surprise! Around February 21 (day varies according to timezone) Sigma will announce two new lenses:
- 500mm F5.6 DG DN OS | Sports
- 15mm F1.4 DG DN DIAGONAL FISHEYE| Art
And that 15mm f/1.4 is a never seen before kind of lens. Nobody ever made such a fast Full Frame Fisheye lens before. The only lenses coming close are the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO (it’s a MFT lens so FF equivalence is 16mm f/3.6) and the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens. Having a f/1.4 fisheye lens will likely open some new possibilities never explored before. Bold move Sigma! But I wonder how big this lens will be! I bet it’s going to be massive! I hope trusted sources can soon share some images and full specs of this lens.
Circular vs Diagonal Fisheye:
The circular fisheye effect gives a 180-degree angle of view across the whole periphery.
A diagonal fisheye effect captures a roughly 180-degree diagonal angle-of-view and a greatly distorted view of the image periphery. This effect is also known as a “full-frame fisheye” effect because the resulting image covers the entire frame.
Reminder: Sigma 500mm f/5.6 specs:
- Lightweight lens…less than 1,5kg and so the lightest telephoto prime lens you can buy.
- Very fast AF on Sony A1 (lens has linear motor)
- The lens sharper than the Sony 200-600 G
- very low chromatic aberration
- Coming for Sony E and Leica L mount cameras
- Price just under $3,000
- Announcement on February 21.