A New F1.8 Large-Aperture Fixed Focal Length Lens for the LUMIX S Series
Compact, Lightweight Medium-Telephoto LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 (S-S85)
Newark, NJ (November 4, 2020) – Panasonic is pleased to introduce a new large-aperture medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens, the LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 (S-S85) that enhances portrait photography with its beautiful bokeh effect. Based on the L-Mount system for the LUMIX S Series full-frame mirrorless camera, Panasonic is going to release four F1.8 large-aperture lenses as previously announced, and this 85mm F1.8 is the first one. These four F1.8 lenses feature common size and position of control parts to provide practical advantage in use, for example, when the camera is on a gimbal, it is easy to exchange lenses quickly with minimum adjustment of connected gears. Filters can also be used in common thanks to the same diameter. Boasting high mobility realized by its compact size and light weight, the LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 is also suitable for stills.
Comprising 9 elements in 8 groups, the use of 2 ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lenses effectively suppresses both axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration of magnification. Panasonic S series lenses even pursue the beauty of bokeh and the LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 provides smooth defocus gradation from the focus peak to the neighboring area of the image as well as smooth, round bokeh of point light source without vignetting. The LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 also excels in video recording performance with a mechanism that suppresses focus breathing, which was a critical problem of all interchangeable lenses designed for still image photography.
With its compact size and approximately 355g weight, the LUMIX S 85mm F1.8 features stunning mobility. The rugged dust/splash-resistant* design withstands use under harsh conditions even at 10 degrees below zero for high mobility. The filter diameter is 67 mm, with a 9-blade circular aperture diaphragm.
In addition to the four F1.8 large-aperture lenses, A 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens is also under development to further enhance LUMIX S Series lens lineup. Panasonic and L-Mount system alliance are committed to the development of L-Mount lenses for the further expansion of its lineup to fulfill the needs of customers.
* Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with dust and water.
Panasonic Announces Firmware Update Programs for the LUMIX S1H, S1R, S1, S5 and LUMIX G100 and Further Upgrades for the LUMIX S1 with a Future Firmware Update
Newark, NJ (November 4, 2020) – Panasonic is proud to announce the release of
firmware update programs for DC-S1H (Ver.2.2), S1R (Ver.1.6), S1 (Ver.1.6) and S5
(Ver.2.0) for the LUMIX S Series full-frame mirrorless cameras and for DC-G100 (Ver.1.1)
LUMIX G Series MFT(Micro Four Thirds) mirrorless camera on November 24, 2020.
Panasonic is also pleased to announce the future firmware update exclusively for
S1(Ver.2.0) to further enhance the functions and performance in the first half of 2021.
- Firmware Update Programs to be released on 24 November 2020
DC-S1H Firmware Version 2.2 DC-S1R Firmware Version 1.6
DC-S1 Firmware Version 1.6 DC-S5 Firmware Version 2.0
- Improved AF performance S1H S1R S1
LUMIX’s state-of-the-art AF technology and performance of the new LUMIX S5 will also be available on the S1R, S1H and S1. The upgraded AF notably excels in detection of human and its movement. In addition to the eye, face, body the head is also separately recognized by real-time detection technology to provide even more precise focusing. The camera keeps tracking the subject person even if he/she moves quickly, turns his/her back to the camera, tilts his/her head or moves far away from the camera. In addition, improvements to the DFD technology has enhanced AFC, which also enables users to keep tracking small or fast-moving subjects to capture them in crisp focus. Users can take these advantages in both still and video recording.
- Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+]. S1H S1R S1 S5
- [AF+MF] can be used during video recording S1H S1R S1 S5
- Recognition performance during video recording in V-Log has been improved. S1H S1 S5
- [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added. S1R S1 S5
- [Red REC Frame Indicator] is available. S1R S1
- It is possible to play back vertical videos vertically. S1H S1R S1
- 4K video files can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi. S1H S1R S1
- [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] enables to reverse or not to reverse the monitor image when the free-angle monitor is rotated. S1H S5
- 5K (4992×3744) video recording in MOV is available. S1R
- C4K (4096×2160) MOV can be recorded. S5
5K 30p/25p/24p 4:2:0 10-bit LongGOP 200Mbps LPCM
- [Like 2100(HLG)] has been added in [Photo Style] to support 10-bit HDR video recording. S1R
- High-Resolution audio recording using an XLR Microphone Adaptor DMW-XLR1 is available and it can be controlled with [XLR Mic Adaptor Setting] menu. *MOV only S1R
- [Luminance Level] function supports the 10-bit mode. S1R
- 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI has been supported. S1R
C4K 60p/50p 4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP 150Mbps LPCM C4K 30p/25p/24p 4:2:2 10-bit LongGOP 150Mbps LPCM C4K 30p/25p/24p 4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP 100Mbps LPCM
- RAW Video Data output over HDMI has been supported. S5
[5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW Video Data can be output over HDMI.
The Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V.
*All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
*Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with NINJA V.
*Apply the LUT(Look up table) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut.
- It is possible to display a Vector Scope. S5
- [Master Pedestal Level] function has been added. S5
- [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] have been added to Photo Style. S5
DC-G100 Firmware Version 1.1
- The camera will be compatible with LUMIX Webcam Software (Beta).
- [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] enables to reverse or not to reverse the monitor image when the free-angle monitor is rotated.
- Improved AF performance S1H S1R S1
- Firmware Update Program to be released in the first half of 2021 DC-S1 Firmware Version 2.0
To meet the demands of users, the LUMIX S1 will continue to evolve. [5.9K] / [4K] /
[Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI, thus, the RAW video data can be recorded on Atomos Ninja V*1 *2 . Also, 5.9K/C4K internal video recording, 4K60p/50p 4:2:0 10bit recording as well as Anamorphic mode and Timecode will also be available*2 . The firmware itself enables manual setting of Dual Native ISO.
*1 5.9K (5888×3312) 29.97p/25p, 4K (4128×2176) 59.94p/50p, Anamorphic 3.5K (3536×2656) /50p.
*2 To activate functions related to MOV and V-Log video recording, a Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU2 (sold separately) is required. Users who already have DMW-SFU2 do not need to purchase extra DMW-SFU2.
Panasonic further addresses technology development and its achievement shall be applied not only to the new products but also to those already released via firmware update.
What is the Sigma fp? Is it for you? Our Full Review
Plenty of L-rumors readers images on our L-mount Facebook Group
Opinion: Camera names are getting ridiculous (Dpreview).
Sony A7C, Nikon Z5 y Panasonic S5: batalla de formato completo “asequible” (Photolari).
Smoother Stabilization and Advanced Control with the DJI RS 2 and RSC 2 (Explora).
Sigma 100-400mm L test by Focusnumerique
You can preorder the new lenses at BHphoto.
Here are the lens specs:
This is how the adapter looks on L-mount cameras:
BCNranking published the mirrorless share data for Japan. After a long time of flat sales Panasonic made a jump from around 2% up to 5.8% market share thanks to the introduction of the S5. That’s definitely a good news. They surpassed Sigma and they aren’t too far behind Nikon. Panasonic now needs to release a new S1rII camera to keep pushing sales…